Avocado Caprese Skillet Chicken
The Caprese (tomato, basil, fresh mozzarella and balsamic vinegar) combination is one of the worlds best ingredient combinations…and then you add avocado into the mix and things get totally crazy. When I make a Caprese dish, more often then not lately you’ll also find some perfectly ripe avocados in the mix of things, because why not? Avocados are healthy, they’re creamy, they have a mellow yet incredible flavor, and they pair perfectly with tomatoes, basil and mozzarella. Pile all of that over some garlicky skillet chicken and finish it of with a generous drizzling of balsamic glaze and you’ve got an chicken dish worthy of a holiday meal…yet it’s easy enough for a weeknight meal! You can have this chicken ready in 20 – 25 minutes (especially if you slice the toppings while the chicken cooks)! Does dinner get any better? Really, I’m not sure it does. I was savoring each and every bite of this delicious chicken!
Of course you can also grill this chicken as well, simply brush the chicken with the olive oil first, then sprinkle on the seasonings (garlic, powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, S & P) then grill over medium-high heat on lightly oiled grilled grates until cooked through – adding on the cheese, avocados and tomatoes during the last minute of cooking. I do love the simplicity of doing this in a skillet though, and of course in the warmth of my home right now. Plus it’s nice not to have to wait for a grill to preheat, the skillet only takes a minute or two.
Of course this is definitely a repeat recipe! It’s so good and so easy it will likely become a regular on your menu!
- 2 (10 – 11 oz each) boneless skinless chicken breasts, butterflied and halved
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella, cut into 8 slices
- 4 avocado slices (from a firm but ripe large avocado)
- 2 medium vine ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 3 Tbsp balsamic glaze (I used Bertolli)
- 1/3 cup chopped basil ribbons
- In a bowl mix together garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Sprinkle mixture evenly over both sides of each chicken cutlet. Heat olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken (cover pan with a splatter screen if you have one) and cook until golden brown on bottom, about 4 – 6 minutes. Rotate and cook opposite side until chicken has nearly cooked though, reducing burner temperature just slightly if needed, about 4 – 5 minutes (it should be nearly 160 in center on an instant read thermometer) then add two slices of mozzarella to the top each cutlet, followed by one avocado slice, and 1 – 2 tomato slices. Cover pan with lid, return to heat and allow to cook 1 – 2 minutes longer until cheese has melted and chicken registers 165 in center.
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper, drizzle with balsamic glaze and sprinkle with fresh basil. Serve warm.