Soured cream makes this tasty one pot rich and creamy. It’s delicious served with mash or rice. This hearty hotpot is great for cooking in advance. Once cooked, leave to cool completely and then put in a freezer-proof container. It will last in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Serves 6
- Prep time Less then 30 minutes
- Cooking time 1 to 2 hours
- 1 large chicken, jointed (or use 2 large chicken legs and 2 breasts, halved)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- knob of butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp hot paprika
- 1 tbsp flour
- 285ml / 1/2pint chicken stock
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 2 red peppers, de-seeded and cut into 1cm / 0.5in strips
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 250ml / 8fl oz sour cream
- Rub the chicken pieces with the salt. Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy-bottomed pan and brown the chicken all over for a few minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and set to one side.
- To the same pan, add the onions and garlic and sweat for about five minutes. Add the sweet and hot paprika, then the flour, and stir until combined – take care not to burn it.
- Add the stock and stir. Return the chicken pieces to the pan, adding a bit more stock if the mixtures seems too dry.
- Add half of the chopped parsley and bring to the boil. Add the red pepper strips, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and simmer gently for about one hour.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the sour cream and the remaining parsley.
- Check the seasoning and serve.