Peppermint Sugar Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
It’s that time of year where I start to get a little obsessed with all things peppermint! One thing I love about seasonal foods, like peppermint flavored treats, is that they are only around once a year so it gives you just one more thing to look forward to during that time of year. Like fresh berries in the summer, pumpkin in the fall, carrot cake everything in the spring and peppermint and eggnog during the winter. Another thing I look forward to during this time of year is the snow, call my crazy but I love it! After it snows and the sun comes out and glistens across the horizon, I just love the way the snow shines and sparkles and that blanket of white that covers everything is truly gorgeous. Each season has its perks and I’m grateful to live in a place that has four seasons. I may not be saying that come february though :).
These cookies were adapted from my favorite sugar cookie recipe, these Frosted Sugar Cookies here. They are similar to the loft house style cookies with just a little more chew to them. They are oh so soft, and when they are enhanced with peppermint flavor and a cream cheese frosting amazing things happens! You’ll dream about these cookies. They must be good because my husband said they are one if his new favorite things in the world!
If you love sugar cookies and peppermint you simply have to try these! Consider them a holiday must this year!
Happy cookie season!
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour, plus more for dusting work surface
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup all vegetable shortening (unflavored), at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Crushed candy canes, for topping
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Sift flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt into a large bowl, then whisk it just a few times, set aside. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, on medium speed, whip together butter, shortening and sugar until very pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scrapping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add in egg and mix until combine, then add egg white, vanilla and peppermint extract and mix until combine. With mixer running, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combine. Transfer dough to an airtight container and refrigerate 2 hours. Preheat oven to 375 during the last 10 minutes of refrigeration.
- Scoop dough out about 3 Tbsp at a time and roll into a ball. Place dough ball on a lightly floured surface, sprinkle top lightly with flour, then using something flat and smooth (such as the storage container lid), press and evenly flatten dough to 1/2″ thick. Transfer flattened dough to a Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet and repeat process with remaining dough (you’ll have to use 2 cookie sheets). Bake in preheated oven 9 – 11 minutes. Allow to cool 5 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely then frost with Cream Cheese Frosting and sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
- For the frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together cream cheese and butter until pale and fluffy. Add peppermint extract and powdered sugar and mix until pale and fluffy.